Wednesday, July 8, 2020

Wood Elf Backgrounds

Wood Elves

Wood Elves are semi-nomadic Elves. That is they tend to have a different settlement for each season. Their settlements are massive strongholds built beneath forest hills hidden by hedges and Ha Ha walls that don't disturb the beautiful landscape. Wood Elves are effective light cavalry that easily keep the horde away from their territory but they are too few in numbers to really push the horde back. A number of Wood Elves have joined the war against the horde.

Illustration by Russ Nicholson
1d6
Ideal
1
Loyalty. I am fiercely loyal to my Bond.
2
Independence. I believe one must be self-sufficient and capable of surviving alone if necessary.
3
Adventure. Life is pointless without the thrill of exploration and danger.
4
Beauty. What is the point of a sword, armor, a wall if they are ugly. It is well worth the cost in time and wealth to make such items beautiful.
5
Free Will. I rebel against attempts to manipulate or order me around and would rather make my own mistakes than listen to commands.
6
Nature. Walls and masonry are abominations. I understand the need in the current crisis but believe they should be torn down once the horde is destroyed.

1d6
Bond
1
My tribe is everything. After that my horse, I guess. 
2
I will protect the Wood Elf nation above all else and follow the commands of our Queen no matter what.
3
I am religious minded and respect and follow the dictates of the Pantheon.
4
I am dedicated to preserving nature from the Horde.
5
House Drow were behind the Hordes attacks and I have pledged my life to destroying them.
6
I was at a Vault when it fell. The carnage was horrific. Dead Giants are my goal in life. 

1d6
Flaw
1
I like Dwarf food (when cooked by Halflings of course). Even a bite makes me a bit sick but the taste is amazing. Needless to say I hide this fact from my fellow Elves.
2
I tend to bathe rarely and do laundry even less often, the soil of the forests are part of the great world.
3
I have no compunction against lying to non-Elves.
4
I like wine, wine, wine, pass me some more wine. It really is the only way to tolerate others.
5
I hate metal armor, it feels as if its cutting me off from nature. Leather is fine though, it feels right.
6
I hate to be in cities. If forced to stay in a city I'll be on the rooftops or in a park or something with a day to feel less confined.

Acolyte, Druid  (From Ba5ic)
You grew up in an Order of the Pantheon of the Old Faith studying the ways of the nature spirits.
Proficiencies: Animals, Religion
Equipment: A prayer rope, a winter blanket, an herbalism kit, a set of common robes that mark your Order, and 5 gp
Perks: When in the robes of your order you can expect reasonable assistance from Elves (and even Halflings). This assistance includes buying you food/drink or lodging, helping get you out of trouble with the law, or backing you up in the case of a bully.

Light Cavalry (From Ba5ic)
You spent your early life on horseback defending your Wood Elf tribe.
Proficiencies: Hunting, Riding
Equipment: An insignia of rank, a trophy taken off a battlefield, a gaming set, a set of common clothes, and a pouch containing 10 gp
Perks: Wood Elves will recognize your authority and defer to it if of a lower rank. You can invoke your rank to requisition simple equipment or horses for temporary use.

Ranger (From Ba5ic)
You have spent your early life tracking and killing the horde whenever they come out of their dank holes.
Proficiencies: Navigation, Survival
Equipment: Navigator’s tools, a set of traveler’s clothes, and a pouch containing 10 gp
Perks: Given that such things can be found in the area, you can find food and fresh water for up to six people each day.

Ba5ic game at DriveThru. ba5ic OGL License. The only game that really did something with Backgrounds so credit where credit is due.

No comments: