Thursday, July 9, 2020

Halfling (Stout) Backgrounds

Halfling (Stouts)

Halfling society collapsed long, long ago, and Stouts are the Halflings that learned to live in a symbiotic community with the Hill Dwarves. Stouts earned their keep as cooks, cleaners, and farmers as well as occasional scouts and messengers. Cooking for the Hill Dwarves means cooking comfort food and brewing exceptional beers and ales, which has made the Stouts very popular in Hill Dwarf settlements, as well as making the Stouts themselves a bit rotund.

Illustration by Russ Nicholson
1d6
Ideal
1
Charity. I always try to help those in need, as others helped me when I needed the help.
2
Community. I believe we must protect and help all. We stand together or we fall together.
3
Creativity. If you're gonna do something you should do it with a bit of spice.
4
Spirituality. I think one must connect with the Pantheon to be fulfilled.
5
Fun. Life isn't worth living without a bit of silly fun.
6
Normalcy. I'd like to just enjoy my gardens and a nice table of food and drink. Unfortunately the Horde makes that unlikely in the near future.

1d6
Bond
1
I am loyal to other Halflings. I'm not disloyal to Elves or Dwarves or Humans but if push came to shove you can't really trust them the way you can your own folk.
2
I am loyal to my family primarily. I mean of course. I'd kill for them.
3
I'm loyal to the Pantheon, they make the soil rich and without that we'd have all starved long ago.
4
I love the Dwarves, so many died just to give my people a chance to get out of the Vault before it fell.
5
I'm fond of Elves. Not only do they believe in the Pantheon as well but their rangers showed up when we needed them and led us downriver to safety.
6
My people are not violent, but I was in the Hill Dwarves Great Vault when it fell to the horde and I'll not sleep peacefully until the horde are all long dead.

1d6
Flaw
1
I think I'm a great cook in a world of tasteless critics.
2
I believe wine is required with any cooking, and will be drunk for an hour whenever tasked with cooking.
3
I'm a bit of a jerk about inferior food and drink and feel the need to point such things out hoping cooks will improve.
4
I love food, and will eat 1.5 times normal rations and be so stuffed as to be unable to do anything for an hour after a meal.
5
I no longer believe in the Pantheon and wonder if most deities aren't actually Ancient Evil manipulating worshipers. Of course I'm quiet about these doubts.
6
Hedonist when given the chance and away from dangerous I'm gonna spend like an aristocrat on food, drink, and comfort.

Bard  (From Ba5ic)
You grew up in an Order of the Pantheon of the Old Faith, Halflings branch, reformed. As such you spent your time learning to become a performer, entertainer, and keeper of stories entertaining and informing taverns and town squares.
Proficiencies: History, Performance, Musical Instrument
Equipment: Musical instrument, a costume, a book containing an epic poem, and a pouch containing 15 gp
Perks: You can always find venues to perform. As long as you performe, room and board of a modest or comfortable standard are free.

Pickpocket  (From Ba5ic)
You spent your early life begging and poaching extra food in the Dwarven Vaults.
Proficiencies : Sleight of Hand, Thieves’ Cant
Equipment: A crowbar, a set of dark common clothes with a hood, and a pouch containing 15 gp
Perks: You have a reliable contact within the Thieves Guild. Thieves’ Cant is a secret language that thieves know that allow them to identify each other and secretly communicate while in public.

Ba5ic game at DriveThru. ba5ic OGL License. The only game that really did something with Backgrounds so credit where credit is due.

No comments: