Tuesday, July 14, 2020

Half Orc Backgrounds

Half Orc

The name half orc is a misnomer, they are physically all Orc but are not culturally part of the horde. Half Orcs no longer worship Chaos Demons or seek to destroy everything at the whims of Dark Elf or warlord masters. Now they live uneasily in Hill Dwarf settlements, often taking on dangerous tasks to prove themselves to their new allies.

Illustration by Russ Nicholson
1d6
Ideal
1
Life is depressing, and dangerous so I drink, don't judge.
2
I'm angry a lot and have been banned from most taverns for fighting.
3
I've been a member of the thieves guild for some time but keep that connection private.
4
Power. Only through gaining personal power can I implement the changes I know must happen.
5
Honor. I do what I say I'll do and don't like, although frequently nobody believes me.
6
Protecting my battle brothers is my top priority.

1d6
Bond
1
I now worship the Dwarven God Lord Gax.
2
My Clan, what's left of it. I'll do anything for them and to a lesser extent for the other Half Orc refugees.
3
Helping the Humans who gave me a chance instead of killing me outright as their Dwarven brethren demanded, that is who I feel bonded to.
4
Stopping the Horde before they do any further damage. 
5
Treasure, I'll only risk my life for wealth and security.
6
My purpose in life is the destruction of the Dark Elves that mislead my people into worship chaos.

1d6
Flaw
1
Love fresh meat, Halfling meat to be honest, but I can control myself.
2
I was a major player in the fall of X Vault. I live in fear I'll be found out.
3
I have horrible manners and hygiene, big shock, I'm an Orc.
4
I don't really like Elves or Dwarves. Halflings and humans are alright though.
5
Although I no longer worship the Chaos Gods I still sacrifice to them from time-to-time just to be safe.
6
Irrational hatred for the Horde and I've ignored more than one order to retreat because of my rage.

Apprentice Shaman (From Ba5ic)
You spent your early life in the pursuit of knowledge and power from the Chaos Lords. That fell apart when you left the Horde.
Proficiencies: Any two languages
Equipment: A book of esoteric lore in one of the languages the character knows, a set of common clothes, and a pouch containing 15 gp
Perks: You begin the game with knowledge of the location of an object of great magical power.

Assassin  (From Ba5ic)
You spent your early years training as a killer and spy, expert at taking out guards at night.
Proficiencies: Disguise, Poison, Thieves’ Cant
Equipment: A set of fine clothes, a disguise kit, a vial of poison and a pouch containing 15 gp
Perks: You know how to get in contact with any thieves guild and can gain information and job offers. You can expect help hiding from authorities if on guild business.

Barbarian  (From Ba5ic)
You spent your early life living in the wild and off the land.
Proficiencies: Survival, one language
Equipment: A staff, an animal trap, a trophy from an animal the character has killed, a set of traveller’s clothes, and a pouch containing 10 gp
Perks: A keen sense of landmarks and geography. You can always recall the general layout of any given area. In the wilderness, you can always find food and water enough to fend for yourself.

Thief  (From Ba5ic)
You spent your early life in one of the gangs that dominate the foreign sections of Dwarven Vaults.
Proficiencies : Stealth, Thieves’ tools, Thieves’ Cant
Equipment: A crowbar, a set of dark common clothes with a hood, and a pouch containing 15 gp
Perks: You have a reliable contact who can liaison with other criminals and their organizations. Thieves’ Cant is a secret language that thieves know that allow them to identify each other and secretly communicate while in public.

Warrior  (From Ba5ic)
You spent your early years in battle looting, pillaging, and killing with the horde before you finally slipped your post and worked your way to the other side.
Proficiencies: Gaming, Intimidation
Equipment: A trophy taken off a battlefield, a gaming set, a set of common clothes, and a pouch containing 10 gp
Perks: You have military rank that will be recognized by other Half Orcs who will recognize your authority and defer to it if of a lower rank.

Ba5ic game at DriveThru. ba5ic OGL License. The only game that really did something with Backgrounds so credit where credit is due.

No comments: