Monday, July 6, 2020

Mountain Dwarf Backgrounds

Mountain Dwarves

Mountain Dwarves are considered to be like ignorant bumpkins or hillbillies by their more cosmopolitan Hill Dwarf Cousins. Mountain Dwarves avoided other races almost entirely until the horde ravaged their Vaults one by one and made them refugees in the Hill Dwarf communities. Now they are the most hard core militaristic of all of the races.

Illustration by Russ Nicholson

1d6
Ideal
1
Tradition. The ancient traditions of worship and life must be preserved and upheld.
2
Law. Laws were codified for a reason and they must be followed or everything starts to fall apart.
3
Justice. Wrongs must be corrected, undone, or revenged.
4
Dignity. I believe even folks that have lost everything deserve dignity and I will oppose all those that cause or exploit them.
5
Defend. Except when life's scorned and damage done, to avenge.
6
Destruction. Of all Orcs, Goblins, and their allies.

1d6
Bond
1
I would die to recover lost Dwarven relics from the clutches of the Horde.
2
I will someday get revenge on House Dueger for betraying my Vault.
3
I owe my life to the Elven Rangers that helped my people to safety after the fall of our vault.
4
Everything I do is for the Dwarven people.
5
I will do anything to recover the bones of Dwarven dead from the crypts in Vaults now in the hands of the Horde.
6
The Hill Dwarves let my people into their settlements when we needed them the most, I am eternally indebted to them.

1d6
Flaw
1
I hate horses. I'd rather walk or ride in a wagon.
2
After a life in the vaults mines I get nervous out in the broad daylight. Not agoraphobic but I'll avoid the great outdoors during the day whenever possible.
3
I hate the traitorous House of Duegar, they came as friends and let the horde in. I would probably kill one with my bare hands if I could get a hold of one.
4
Uncontrollable hatred towards Orcs. I hate all of the horde but hate Orcs in particular and refuse to parlay with them at all.
5
In quiet times I drink heavily to keep my mind on the fall of my vault.
6
When I have time to think about it I get depressed about the fall of my vault and occasionally it gets the better of me and I become a drunken brawler.

Grognard (Based on Veteran From Ba5ic)
You have spent your early life in more than one siege defending Mountain Dwarf Vaults from the Horde.
Proficiencies: Athletics, Intimidation
Equipment: An insignia of rank, a trophy taken off a battlefield, a gaming set, a set of common clothes, and a pouch containing 10 gp
Perks: Your rank will be recognized by anyone, who will recognize your authority? Even higher ranks may treat you as an equal. You can invoke their rank to requisition simple equipment or horses for temporary use.

Ba5ic game at DriveThru. ba5ic OGL License. The only game that really did something with Backgrounds so credit where credit is due.

No comments: