Monday, July 13, 2020

Halfling (Tallfellow) Backgrounds

Halfling (Tallfellow)

Halfling society collapsed long, long ago, and Tallfellow are the Halflings that learned to live in a symbiotic community with the High Elves. Tallfellow earned their keep as cooks, cleaners, and farmers as well as occasional scouts and messengers. Cooking for the High Elves means making wine and cooking a vegetarian diet. The Tallfellow adapted to this somewhat drab diet by heavy use of spices and sauces that even non Elves have learned to appreciate. This culinary additions have made the Tallfellow very popular in High Elf society, as well as making the Tallfellow themselves a bit thin.

Illustration by Russ Nicholson
1d6
Ideal
1
Unity. I think we must act as one to defeat the horde.
2
Efficiency. The most efficient way is the best way. I'm always trying to find the most efficient way to do things.
3
Elegance. I'm not particularly elegant myself but strive to be more so and really fall for those that are.
4
Safety. I'm not exactly a coward but my self-preservation instinct is pretty strong. 
5
Empathy. It makes me sad when I see others in pain. I want to help. This does not really apply to the horde as they've brought so much anguish already that we're all better without them.
6
Be prepared. I believe in thinking ahead and being as prepared as possible.

1d6
Bond
1
I care for the High Elves. They don't get enough credit for closing the multi-dimensional gates and cutting the Horde off from the multiverse. That was a huge effort and must have been a difficult decision.
2
Ponies. I love horses as well but it's a bit uncomfortable riding them. Amazing animals, I'll ride an equine any chance I get.
3
I place my family above all. That is my Halfling family, the High Elf House we've worked for for generations is second. All others are far below.
4
I was raised in the temple after my parents were slain. I'm eternally grateful.
5
If I had to pick anything it would be beer. Our Stout cousins make an amazing beer. That and ales. Great ales. And the food. Living with Elves it was all vegetables all the time. They eat like horses. Since trying the food prepared for Hill Dwarves, well I guess I've become a hedonist and I'll do what it takes to afford it all.
6
My spouse is amazing and I'll do anything to keep them happy and secure, including risk my life.

1d6
Flaw
1
I've lived with Elves and don't really like them.
2
I can't cook but because or Race pride I tend to lie about it.
3
I overcompensate for minimal size with overconfidence, ridiculous overconfidence.
4
I pick pockets compulsively, although I usually put the items back. Its not about the thing so much as the thrill and challenge
5
Don't really care for food or drink, food is fuel, and I eat because I must not because it's enjoyable. Of course nobody believes me.
6
Eating the food we prepare for the Elves makes me gaseous and my urine really smells.

Bard  (From Ba5ic)
You grew up in an Order of the Pantheon of the Old Faith, Halflings branch, reformed. As such you spent your time learning to become a performer, entertainer, and keeper of stories entertaining and informing taverns and town squares.
Proficiencies: History, Performance, Musical Instrument
Equipment: Musical instrument, a costume, a book containing an epic poem, and a pouch containing 15 gp
Perks: You can always find venues to perform. As long as you performe, room and board of a modest or comfortable standard are free.

Burglar  (From Ba5ic)
You spent your early life scouting out Vaults the horde had captured, providing maps and intel to the Dwarven Houses looking to reclaim their birthright. This has taught you some useful skills.
Proficiencies : Stealth, Thieves’ Cant
Equipment: A pouch containing 150 gp
Perks: You have a reliable contact within the Thieves Guild. Thieves’ Cant is a secret language that thieves know that allow them to identify each other and secretly communicate while in public.

Ba5ic game at DriveThru. ba5ic OGL License. The only game that really did something with Backgrounds so credit where credit is due.

No comments: