Wednesday, July 15, 2020

Human Backgrounds

Humans

Humans appear in most Hill Dwarf settlements. Mostly they are mercenaries come to fight, either because they believe in the cause or they are looking for cash. The flood of humans has only increased recently as Dwarven law says any Dwarven treasure left unclaimed for 50 years is up for grabs, a well known law well known to treasure hunters who have counted down the years since the Grand Vault fell 50 years ago. The humans come in many racial types but they all share the same culture (for now, eventually I'd like a couple different human cultures represented).

Illustration by Russ Nicholson
1d6
Ideal
1
Faith. I trust that my God Lord Gax will guide my actions. I have faith that if I work hard, things will go well.
2
Fame. Through adventuring I'll become famous and someone people want to know.
3
Progress. Backwards and antiquated ways should be updated or we'll never persevere.
4
Freedom. I hate to see anyone enslaved or imprisoned and will take great risks to free prisoners of the horde.
5
Fairness. Unfair rules are meant to be broken. Unfair fights are meant to be joined.
6
Greater Good. I'm willing to do some bad things if it leads to the correct results.

1d6
Bond
1
I'm willing to risk my life to prove the value of humans in the alliance.
2
I care for my family and will risk all to provide for them.
3
I love the alliance despite the imperfections and will die to preserve it.
4
I believe in honor and will not break my codes no matter what.
5
I'm loyal to the Guild that was both father and mother to me.
6
I am faithful and comfortable knowing my soul will be cared for after death.

1d6
Flaw
1
I put way to much trust in authority, I know it, but can't help it, and this war is too important for petty rebellions.
2
I'm a religious zealot and will do just about anything the Clerics of Gax say. 
3
My family is everything, and I'll do anything to protect or advance the family.
4
I like the good things in life and I'll take whatever risks are necessary to afford living like an Aristocrat, even for awhile.
5
I can't hide it, I'm very proud of everything human, especially our position as the shield of the Alliance.
6
I don't trust authority at all and will at least consider doing the opposite when given orders. It's a problem, I know.

Acolyte (From Ba5ic)
You have spent your early life in the service of the God Lord Gax. You have been ordained and are vested with the power to perform (non-magical) sacred rites and services for worshipers.
Proficiencies: Insight, Religion
Equipment: A holy symbol, a prayer book or prayer beads, vestments, a set of common clothes, and a pouch containing 15 gp
Perks: The respect and limited support (meals, place to sleep) from those who share the same faith. The character and companions can expect free healing and care at a temple of the faith

Apprentice (From Ba5ic)
You have spent your early life as a slave in one of the Wizarding Schools hoping for your opportunity.
Proficiencies: Arcana, one language
Equipment: A bottle of ink, a quill, 10 sheets of parchment, a set of common clothes, and a pouch containing 10 gp
Perks: You are a member of a Wizarding School and can rely on certain benefits this membership provides. You have access to Guild Halls and the research capacities that they provide as well as being a place to meet potential patrons, allies and hirelings. Your Wizarding School also has political clout, so the character will be protected from unjust use of the law and has access to political figures.

Merchant
You grew up working for one of the Merchant houses. Dwarves are great craftsmen and miners but they are terrible at selling their wares and human merchants have stepped into that gap making everyone a lot of money by brining products where they are wanted.
Equipment: A set of scales, a set of common clothes, a set of travel clothes, and a pouch containing 150 gp
Perks: You are an Apprentice member of the Merchants Guild and can rely on certain benefits. You have access to the Guild Hall and can get low cost loans if necessary. The Merchants Guild also has political clout, so you will be protected from unjust use of the law and has access to political figures.

Thief (From Ba5ic)
You spent your early life in one of the gangs that dominate the foreign sections of Dwarven Vaults.
Proficiencies: Stealth, Thieves’ tools, Thieves’ Cant
Equipment: A crowbar, a set of dark common clothes with a hood, and a pouch containing 15 gp
Perks: You have a reliable contact who can liaison with other criminals and their organizations. Thieves’ Cant is a secret language that thieves know that allow them to identify each other and secretly communicate while in public.

Soldier (From Ba5ic)
You spent your early life in battle guarding the walls and fighting the horde and protecting refugees and such.
Proficiencies: Athletics, Intimidation
Equipment: An insignia of rank, a trophy taken off a battlefield, a gaming set, a set of common clothes, and a pouch containing 10 gp
Perks: You have military rank that will be recognized by other soldiers. Soldiers will recognize your authority and defer to it if of a lower rank. You can invoke their rank to requisition simple equipment or horses for temporary use. You can usually gain access to military encampments or fortresses where their rank is recognized.

Ba5ic game at DriveThru. ba5ic OGL License. The only game that really did something with Backgrounds so credit where credit is due.

No comments: