Monday, July 27, 2020

Thoughts on Alignment

Sort of continuing from Friday's Best of the Web post, part of the Wizards of the Coat policies was to suggest a change in alignments so that these races are not always evil. I've always ignored Alignments for Player Characters but find them occasionally useful for NPC and monsters, still I'd never noticed the alignments changed over time.

Baddie Alignment Through the Editions
Race
1E
3E
5E
Drow Elves 
CE 
Usually NE
NE
Dueger Dwarves
LE 
Often LE
LE
Goblin
LE 
Usually NE
NE
Hobgoblin
LE
Usually LE
LE
Ogre
CE 
Usually CE
CE 
Orc
LE 
Often CE
CE

I find it especially interesting that 3E added Usually and Often to a number of alignments. I don't know if I read it somewhere or if I was just a rebel as a kid but I'd always assumed a race wasn't gonna be 100% all one alignment.

No comments: