Monday, March 9, 2020

Thule Island - Mini-sandbox

I was plugging away creating villages, and I like what I've done, but I'm not sure I like the look of the village maps. I somewhat followed the old Harn model which manages this look nicely but I feel mine a bit dry. I prefer the eagle-eye view showing somewhat 3d buildings that have more character. Besides the internet is filled with medieval city maps to pillage and use.

Also I decided that although it is useful to have villages ready to drop in anywhere I prefer a little context. It helps in writing and makes for a better product. So I decided I'd create a mini-sandbox. Something really small because sooner or later I'll get bored, and if not I can make a second mini-sandbox. Bite-sized chunks, that's the ticket.

I like 6-mile hexes, and they can be chock full of encounters as the hex of Manhattan sort of shows. So I put together an island comprised of 4 partial hexes. That allows one to travel on foot about the island without days and days of wandering around. Being a small island a GM could easily drop the thing onto their own map with ease. It all seemed good.

I also thought an example of a sandbox might be a good idea. So for the rest of March I'll be documenting Thule Island. The elevator speech is as follows:
What if the Holy Roman Empire conquered Middle Earth after the fall of Sauron and unwittingly enabled his return to power, except instead of Sauron we have unholy, slimy, tentacled, demonic, mutating, Lovecraftian, Chaos of the sort Warhammer players would be familiar with and instead of the semi-benign corruption of Medieval Catholocism of the Holy Roman Empire we have a far more bloodthirst, and fracturing, monotheistic religion.
As far as Appendix N is concerned its a mix of J.R.R. Tolkien, Karl Edward Wagner, R.E. Howard, and H.P. Lovecraft.

No comments: