Friday, September 25, 2020

Best of the Web - Interesting Rooms, Trailing Gouls, and Fiona's 122 Questions

Captain Caveman at Cyborgs and Sorcerers has a post called Making Dungeon Rooms More Tactically Interesting. It's a great idea, one I found while looking for exactly that sort of thing. I'm surprised there aren't more posts around the blogrealms about exactly this, especially from the 4E era. So he has a 1d20 table with useful results, some a bit sci-fi. Sooner or later I'll have to do one of my 6-packs if I can figure out 6 new items that don't step on the same territory.

Trollsmyth has a wonderful post called Trailing Ghouls in which he creates a quick system to disrupt long rests with ghouls drawn to the corpses Adventurers inevitably leave about. I can't see doing this all the time but in the right campaign it would create a wonderful since of horror and unease.

Fiona Geist made two lists on Twitter and Throne of Salt combined them in a blog post titled  Fiona's 122 Questions (Plus a Challenge).  The first entry on the list made me think it was unserious but further entries seemed like they might be useful in defining a lot of little things in a campaign world. I'm sure I'll use it, and I'm also sure I'll trim the list down significantly when I do. Still I like this sort of thing because each entry forces a bit of thinking about how this campaign world works and even if you only provide the most basic answer it will send you in the right direction when that event comes up.



No comments: