Friday, September 18, 2020

Best of the Web - Drow Agriculture, and Adding Adventures to Dread

In his post The Drow Have Discovered Agriculture! Martin 0 of Goodberry Monthly talks about post apocolypse Drow society and how the invention of agriculture changed them. It's an interesting post that got me thinking. I've always thought of the Elves as being Herbivores. Not vegetarians but outright herbivores but I never really thought of what this would mean for Drow. I don't like the idea of them eating mushrooms all the time so I started to think about hydroponics and folks I knew in college that grew plants in their dark closet.  So if you had water, and a continual light spell above, you could have an interesting crop cave. Probably with tiered walls of some kind to maximize the growing space. Although Drow dung probably works as decent fertilizer I'd like something else that might create better fertilizer, maybe something left behind by Xorn or even Purple Worms that the Drow collect or pay others for.

The 3 Toadstools had a post called Adding a few basic adventures to the Isle Of Dread which is an idea I think TSR should have embraced long ago. Take a sandbox adventure such as Isle of Dread and then use that as a location for following modules, populating out the sand box. The post suggests Forbidden City and B4, both of which work nicely as jungle ruins.

In the comment section of a blog I found a link by Lich Van Winkle to a post by Detect Magic titled Describing Terrain Features, Illustrated. This post has a nice set of examples of features on topo maps with photos of those same features. Less useful now that I'm older and have seen all this stuff and worked for a few years at a mapping company but this would have been gold when I was younger. Still a good post that most people should check out.

No comments: