Friday, November 1, 2019

Best of the Web - Dave's Maps, Bookmarks, and Random Caves

Dave's Mapper
I've never really liked the examples I've seen because they always create a hodge-podge of maps made from different artists, I have no imagination that way, but Dave's mapper has a button in which you can create a map only by a select artists. Of course they had that feature, I just didn't look. It's pretty awesome. I'm a fan now.

Bookmark Map?
Dungeoneering has an interesting idea in the post Bookmark Dungeon: Shrine of Odolric the Cruel.
A dungeon map on a standard 2"x6" bookmark. In this format you can move the card to wherever you have the appropriate room descriptions.
Instead of having a removable cover with map the way they did it in the old days. I guess any size printout map could work the same way but this seems extra cool to me for some reason although the shape would be a challenge.

Random Cave Maps
Delta's D&D Hotspot has an interesting post called Cave Dice on using 6-sided die to generate simple caves.

I like this as it allows a GM to rapidly create a small cave lair in the wilderness.

I ran across something I thought would help make a slightly larger system. Brialle pips. In most cases the pips indicate  tunnels/corridors but as in Delta's Cave dice a group of four (as in g and q) indicate a chamber.

Roll 1d4 to determine how many braille letters to use, then roll 1d20 that many times to determine which letters.

Table 1: Braille Caves
1d20
Braille Letter
01
a
02
b
03
d
04
e
05
06
g
07
08
i
09
j
10
l
11
n
12
o
13
p
14
q
15
r
16
s
17
t
18
v
19
w
20
y
Lastly roll 1d4 to determine the vertical connections between the letters:

Table 2: New letter is...
1d4
Above/Same
01
Same level
02
Same level
03
Below
04
Below 

And roll 1d4 to determine the nature of any vertical differences:

Table 3: Connection is...
1d4
Above/Same
01
Hole in the floor/roof
02
Drop/cliff
03
Steep but navigable slope
04
Shallow slope




No comments: