Thursday, September 12, 2019

Fantasy Heartbreaker: Spells, Domains, & Fumbles

Crypts & Things removed clerics entirely and bundled their spells into one grand list of spells. I liked this idea a lot. In the Conan books and Kane books and Elric books the cults seemed to use wizardry, not actually blessings or the power of their gods (which always seemed pseudo-Christianity). If they wanted the power of their god/demon they tried to summon the god/demon.

Crypts & Things also divided the spell list into Light, Grey, and Dark. This gave flavor to the three domains of wizardry but I wanted to go a step or two further. I wanted more domains, the more the better.

I love fumble tables. Casting a spell should not be automatic, and it should have some risk. I didn't want a different skill roll for each spell but dividing the spells into domains and having each domain be a skill roll worked. This also meant I could give each domains worth of spells its own fumble table, giving each a bit of color without overwhelming everything. I wanted weirdo spellcasters as in the card game Epic Spell Wars and this seemed a good way to go about it.

But what about the Clerics & Druids & Anti-Clerics? Well my campaign hasn't had any yet, just NPC. I use the old Chaos/Neutral/Law alignment and spellcasters just use Wizard spells. They may think the power comes from their Gods/Demons or spirits they worship but its the same basic stuff as the Wizards use.

No comments: